ASPHALT: Tar or similar bituminous solid substance. A natural material, that can be mixed with rock for paving, or applied as water proofing, to various papers, felts, and sealant products.

BATTEN: Cedar or redwood board, 3/4″ thick, 2″ wide, 4′ long. Nailed to roof deck to hold certain kinds of tile.

BITUMEN: Natural substances such as asphalt or maltha, which consist mainly of hydrocarbons.

BUNDLE: A package of roofing shingles, ie: a bundle of shakes, a bundle of composition shingles. Used as a unit of measure. 3 bundles to a square – 5 bundles to a square.

BURNOUT: Used to describe the effect the sun will have on exposed felt. Usually in relation to a hole in a shake roof, ie: The sun caused a burnout between shakes and it leaked.

CAULKING: Adhesive used to fill in small areas against water. Ie: Around windows in a long bead so water won’t leak in. Sold in tubes, and applied by pressure. Normally by hand with a ‘caulking gun’.

DECK: This is the actual surface on which the roofing will be applied. Usually plywood (3/8″ – 1″) or 1″x4″ or larger boards.

EAVE: This is the lower, overhanging part of your roof. Typically down where the gutter is located is called the eaveline.

EXPOSURE: Used to describe the amount of each row of roofing, not covered by the above row.

FELT: Paper, matted together by pressure and impregnated with asphalt to make waterproof.

FIRE RATING: Measurement used by independent labs to determine resistance to fire.

FLASHING: Commonly any metal used on a roof to cover pipes, walls, skylights, chimney, or valleys. Can be waterproof paper used around windows.

HIP: The angled line formed at the juncture of two sloped sides, ie: A pyramid would have four hips. Where each of two sides would meet.

HIP AND RIDGE: This describes the material used to cover the hip or ridge areas. Know also as trim pieces.

MASTIC: Asphalt based sealant. Troweled, or applied by hand using rubber gloves. Other trades have other types of mastic products.

MODIFIED-BITUMEN: Roofing material sold in rolls, usually applied by heating with a propane torch.

NOSING: Metal edging of various widths but normally 10′ long. Used along the eaves and up the rakes to cover plywood, other layers of roofing, or just to give a nice clean look, especially when painted. Nailed to deck, or on top of new roofing in high wind areas.

PLY: Refers to layers of roofing applied.

RAFTERS: The supports that hold up the roof and where the deck material would be nailed.

RAKE: The sloped ends of framed gable sides.

RESHEETING: Commonly means covering existing roof deck with a new layer of plywood.

RESUPPORT: Installing support for a heavy roofing material such as tile.

RIDGE: The horizontal line where the tops of roofing rafters meet. Also used to represent the material used to cover this area.

STEPSHINGLE: A metal flashing in a ‘ L ‘ shape, used to tie roofing into walls, skylights, chimneys, etc.

STRONGBACK: A support used in attics to distribute weight.

TIN SHINGLE: Thin metal rectangles about 4×8 inches.

TURBINE: Air flow device used to ventilate attic areas. Mounted on the roof and driven by the wind.

VALLEY: Depression angle created when two sloped areas meet.

VALLEY METAL: Sheet metal used to cover valley areas of the roof.

WET/DRY-WET PATCH: Type of mastic that can be used on wet or dry surfaces.

WHIRLYBIRD: See turbine.